The Halifax Cycling Coalition is an organization that is powered by people to make Halifax a better city to ride a bike for people of all ages and abilities. We are looking for enthusiastic individuals to join our Board of Directors for the 2018-19 year who believe in the power of the bicycle to make our community healthier, environmentally sustainable, and socially inclusive.
Ten years ago, our organization was formed by a group of concerned citizens in response to the death of a person cycling in downtown Halifax. Since then, we’ve grown to be one of the most effective advocacy organizations in Halifax and we take pride in the on-the-ground work we do to push for protected bicycle lanes and legislation to protect people cycling. In the past two years alone, our efforts have resulted in successes like
- A network of protected bicycle lanes planned for downtown Halifax and Dartmouth to be implemented by year 2022
- An all ages and abilities bicycle approach to the MacDonald Bridge
- A fully-protected bicycle lane on South Park Street
- 70+ women trained to bicycle confidently on Halifax’s streets through our Intro To Urban Cycling Workshop
- 14 Regional Councillors who signed our Bicycle-Friendly Councillor Pledge
- 1000 bicycle lights distributed to people cycling around Halifax and Dartmouth through our ILightHFX initiative
- On-street bicycle counters across the city collecting daily cycling data through the summer cycling season
What We’re Looking For:
We are seeking a qualified applicant (preferably CPA certified) who can help oversee the financial health of the organization and assist with financial reporting, reconciliation, and bookkeeping. This person would report to the Board of Directors at monthly meetings and advise on financial matters.
Members At Large
We are now recruiting for a number of member-at-large positions! To continue the growth of our organization, we’re looking for people who have experience or expertise in areas such as:
- Fundraising to help our organization work towards more financial sustainability and enable us to continue our excellent advocacy
- Research to maintain our commitment to pushing for evidence-based solutions
- Communications to help us promote our events and programs that get more people cycling
- Law to provide strategic direction on provincial policy and legislation
- Energy, creativity, and any other skills you think you could bring to our Board table!
If you’re interested, send an email by May 25, 2018 to our Chair, Eliza Jackson by, at firstname.lastname@example.org. Please include a short description of yourself or a CV/resume, which role you are applying for, and tell us why you’re interested in being on our Board of Directors.