In partnership with It's More Than Buses, Walk n Roll Halifax, Bicycle Nova Scotia, and others, we have drafted amendments to the Motor Vehicle Act, including renaming it to something more inclusive, like the "Road Safety Act." We are seeking your input to help us weight the merit of each idea and fill in any missing pieces. Following this meeting we will meet with the Minister of Transportation to ask for a province-wide consultation prior to adopting the changes in fall 2016. We will be asking municipalities around the province, as well as any other interested parties to sign on as supporters of these changes.
What will happen at the meeting? We are currently working out the details of the meeting, but in simple terms we will ask everyone present to give a "thumbs up" or "thumbs down" to each proposal. We will also have comment cards for detailed feedback, and suggestion boxes for things we may have missed. More details on the meeting format will be available in the coming weeks, but one thing is clear: you can stay as little or as long as you want, arriving and leaving at any time throughout the evening.
What sort of Motor Vehicle Act Amendments are we proposing?
- Clear rules defining (and prohibiting) right-hooks
- Rules against dooring
- "Crosswalks" for bicycles in order to connect trails
- Clearer rules for bicycles passing on the right, especially at intersections
- Defintions of bike boxes + rules and responsibilities for their use
- Expanded access for skateboards, longboards, scooters, and similar devices
- Yielding instead of stopping for people on bicycles at four-way stops
- More potential hand signal options for people on bicycles
- Increased penalties for distracted driving
- Penalties for road rage
- Allowing people on bicycles to ride two abreast on some roads that are too narrow for cars and bicycles to travel side-by-side
- Allow bicycles to ride against traffic on some quiet one-way residential side streets
- Much, much, more will be on the draft list!
Halifax Central Library