Do you want to get around the city by bike? The Urban Cycling 101 Course will help you build your confidence to cycle on urban streets. The course will help you to feel safe riding in mixed traffic in Halifax and Dartmouth. Take the course and find a sense of freedom that comes with the simple act of riding a bike.
The Urban Cycling 101 course is intended for teens and adults who know how to ride a bike but want to deepen their skills for riding with traffic in an urban setting. The course is also helpful if you have been riding in the city for a while, but you still have a few questions about the rules of the road.
- 1.5 hour online course offered through zoom
- If you've taken the online portion of the course, you will have the opportunity as COVID-19 safety measures allow, to meet up in person outdoors with the instructor later in the season for skills training and a short bike ride. This would happen in a small group of 4-6 participants. You will need to have your own bike or rent a bike if you want to participate.
- Delivered by instructors who have been trained by a Can-Bike instructor
- Opportunities to ask all of the questions you have
- You will receive a PDF handbook before the course to follow along with
- Bike and helmet fit
- ABC bike check
- Road user rights and responsibilities
- Shoulder checking and signaling
- Traffic dynamics
- Principles for cycling in traffic
- Where to ride
- Cycling crashes and collisions
The course will be offered weekly throughout July and August, alternating between lunchtime and evening sessions. You must pre-register to participate. After you sign up, we will send you an e-mail with more information and resources.
In 2020 the course is being offered for FREE thanks to a grant from the Nova Scotia Department of Energy and Mines.
The Urban Cycling 101 course is delivered in partnership between the Halifax Cycling Coalition and the Making Tracks program. The course is supported by the Nova Scotia Department of Energy and Mines and Halifax Cycles and Guitars.
Box 3, 2nd Floor
Halifax, NS B3K 1C5